Road atlas of East US and Canada
Maps of United states and Canada
Mississippi Air Force Bases (2)
Columbus AFB Lowndes
Columbus Air Force Base is operated by the Air Education and Training Command and located in Lowndes County, north of Columbus, Mississippi. The base was built in 1941 and was originally designated as the Air Corps Advanced Flying School, Columbus, Mississippi and would only adopt its current name more than a decade later. It is currently home to the 14th Flying Training Wing. This unit’s mission is to train undergraduate pilots and officers of the U.S. as well as allied air forces. Originally a flying school, Columbus AFB still continues that tradition by training about half the pilots that are serving the United States Air Force today. The busiest military air traffic controller today is located at Columbus.
Keesler AFB Biloxi
Keesler AFB is operated by the Air Education and Training Command and located in Biloxi, Mississippi. The base was established in August 25 1941 as Keesler Army Airfield named after Second Lieutenant Samuel Reeves Keesler, Jr. who was a Mississippi native and an airman killed in action in World War I. Keesler AFB, under the command of Brigadier General Gregory J. Touhill, is currently home to the 81st Training Wing, distinguished as one of the largest of AETC’s training wings. Trainees in the base are taught electronics related courses such as wide band maintenance, ground radio, information technology, avionics, and cryptography. The Department of Defense’s weather forecasters were trained in Keesler from 1992 onwards and flight training was resumed in 1994 for pilots flying the C-12 and C-21.
Mississippi Navy Bases (3)
Gulfport Battalion Center Gulfport
The Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport is a US Navy installation located in Gulfport, Mississippi. The installation was originally established on the second of June, 1942 as an Advanced Base Depot to serve as a home port for US Navy Construction Battalions who were about to be deployed to the Pacific Theatre and the battlefields of Europe during the Second World War. In March 1944, the installation was established as a US Naval Training Center. The installation was only designated with its current name, organization, and mission on 1952. Today, Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport is home to the Naval Mobile Construction Battalions One, Seven, Seventy-Four, and One Hundred Thirty-Three. The center also houses the 20th Naval Construction Regiment, and the Naval Construction Training Center.
NAS Meridian Meridian
Naval Air Station Meridian is a US Navy air base located in the Lauderdale and Kemper Counties, near Meridian, Mississippi. Its primary role is to serve the US Navy as a jet strike pilot training base together with Naval Air Station Kingsville located in Texas. The air station encompasses at least 12,000 acres of land, of which 4,000 is located in the Joe Williams Field and the target facility SEARAY. Naval Air Station Meridian is tasked with providing support and technical training for tenant units. At present, Naval Air Station Meridian is home to the Commander of Training Air Wing One, Training Squadron Nine, Training Squadron Seven, the Naval Technical Training Center, and the Marine Aviation Training Support Squadron One. The air station is also home to 4,000 military personnel, civilian personnel, and dependents.
NS Pascagoula N/A
The Naval Station Pascagoula was a major United States navy facility in Mississippi. The base was the homeport of the Perry Class group of guided missile frigates, as well as the Ticonderoga class cruisers. The Pascagoula base also served several support duties for the fleet stationed there. It is interesting to note that the base was actually a man made island that was created from the accumulation of dredging from a nearby shipyard. As part of the Bases Reorganization and Closure program began in 1995, the Pascagoula base was one of the several military installations that the federal government has decided to shut down. Operations at the base officially ceased on November 16, 2006. The land was then turned over to the Mississippi state government.