Kingsville Navy Base on map
Road atlas of East US and Canada
Maps of United states and Canada
NAS Kingsville Navy Base in Kingsville, TX Texas Military Bases
Naval Air Station Kingsville is named after a nearby city located around 5 km away, in Texas. It is an advanced airport fitted with the latest technologies. It is operated by the United States Navy and only deals with military missions, regardless of their nature. The airport is generally used for inland operations. The location and the long distance make it unable to support missions over water. Although it is somehow limited from this point of view, the naval air station is among the primary training grounds for the United States Navy. It is normally used for jet aircrafts. The primary mission implies selecting and preparing professional pilots for both the Navy and the Marine Corps. Other than that, the aviation schools are also open for the allied countries of the United States of America, not to mention about the NATO members. The population on site is not that impressive. There are around 1,500 inhabitants and only 500 of them are actual military troops. There are also about 350 civilian workers, as well as more than 600 particular contractors for various services. The place is better known among the military troops for being the first one that benefited from the advanced Boeing T 45 Goshawk.
The history of NAS Kingsville dates back to 1941. At that time, some of the local officials found their place to be excellent for a military base, especially due to the climate and relief. It took them a few weeks to pick the spot and notify the Department of Defense. The presentation came a little before the Pearl Harbor attack, which forced the United States of America to join World War II. Although the idea was not that impressive for the Department of Defense, the Japanese attacks forced it to accept this idea, therefore the construction began right away. The base was officially opened half a year later. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on July, 7-th, 1942. The base played a major role throughout World War II. As the war reached to an end, it was not that useful anymore, therefore it was inactivated. It was given to the Kingsville officials and adopted a caretaker status.
In the modern age, the objectives of NAS Kingsville didn’t change too much. The base is still responsible for training operations, only that the students come from all over the world now, while the aircrafts have obviously been upgraded with the latest technologies.
There are around seven units hosted on site, with the most important ones counting the Training Squadron 22 Golden Eagles, the Training Air Wing 2 or the Training Squadron 21 Redhawks. The 370-th Transportation Company or 158-th Aviation Regiment are just as important. Although its purpose is not really military, the Naval Branch Clinic plays a massive role in the good going of the military base.
Aside from the seven major units hosted at NAS Kingsville, there are a few other temporary units deployed there for limited periods of time. They are not as significant though.
Naval Air Station Kingsville’s was first created in 1941 its primary mission is to train tactical jet pilots for the United States Navy and Marine Corps. Read more below:
554 McCain Street
Naval Air Station Kingsville
Kingsville, TX 78363
NAS Kingsville is located in Kleberg County, Texas, about 2 miles east of Kingsville in the south gulf coastal plains. The cost-of-living is low. It is about 45 miles from Corpus Christi and NAS Corpus Christi and is the home of King Ranch, once the largest ranch in the world. There is no base operator at NAS Kingsville.
In the fall of 1941, a group of Kingsville civic leaders decided that the city’s desirable climate and scarcely populated area would be very suitable for a military airfield, much like the one in Corpus Christi. The city leaders wasted little time in making their belief known to the Department of Defense.
The Kingsville group picked out several good sites for airfields and presented them to Navy leaders at NAS Corpus Christi. Among the most impressed of the Navy staff was CAPT Alva Bernhard, who at the time was NAS Corpus Christi’s Commanding Officer. While the Navy made no immediate promises to the Kingsville group, that all changed on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. CAPT Bernhard, foreseeing an immense training buildup that would overtake NAS Corpus Christi’s capacity, immediately selected a site in Kingsville and put his plans into high gear for procurement and construction.
The farmland site of 3,000 acres was soon purchased from the B. O. Sims family. The Navy planned to build a combination of two fields with barracks and other Station activities in a central location, thus saving construction time. Quarters “Q” on the property (now Quarters A) was the only existing building on the land to escape demolition when the Navy took control. The house formerly belonged to the B.O. Sims family and the Navy decided to keep it intact for use as a residence for airfield commanders. The base opened July 4, 1942.
With the attack on Pearl Harbor still fresh on their minds, a large group of Kingsville citizens came to witness the commissioning ceremony. “Kingsville Field” was dedicated to the pilots who would train here and play an important role in winning the war. CDR D. S. McMahon assumed command of the airfield.
Over the next three years, Kingsville Field played a vital role in training Navy and Marine Corps aviators for the Fleet. In addition to jet fighter training, pilots received training in carrier dive bombing tactics, anti-submarine warfare, and cockpit gunnery and artillery at both North and South Fields.
After the war, the base was placed in a caretaker status and leased to the City of Kingsville.
The County Commissioners’ Court and the City of Kingsville agreed to lease the base for $1 a year, plus maintenance costs, and sublease the property to Texas A&I University to be developed as the school’s East Campus for use primarily by the Department of Agriculture. For the next five years, until the start of the Korean Conflict, the college used the facilities while it continued to grow. In 1949, the buildings and dormitories were valued at $5 million. The base had been adapted to house returning World War II veterans, both students and faculty, and also to provide facilities for model farming and a stock farm. The faculty had 150 members in 1949, and 60 percent of the 2,000 students were male.
To provide NAS Kingsville personnel, including all tenant activities, with the best reliable and sustainable shore infrastructure and services to enable and support the Fleet, fighter, and family.
“We endeavor to be the best Naval Air Station throughout Navy Region Southeast by effectively operating as an extension of the Fleet, delivering the world’s best combat aviators to forward-deployed commands at the right time.”
Educate, train and function to meet Fleet requirements.
Provide the necessary tools and guidance that enable Sailors and Marines to develop to their fullest potential, professionally, personally, and in the Fleet.
Ensure we produce well-trained and well-disciplined Navy, Marine Corps and allied forces combat aviators by supplying the right training support at the right time at the right cost.
Strive to measure our success by the success of each Sailor and Marine and the Fleet.
Initiate forward-thinking processes to effectively plan for the future; Plan ahead and manage to the plan.
Strive to maintain individual professionalism on and off the job.
Public Affairs Office
554 McCain St. Suite 214
Kingsville, TX 78363